Eyebrows are such an important part of how we look and there are so many ways to maintain your eyebrows these days. Many people swear by waxing and threading, but I wanted to dig deeper – which is better? Our regular contributor, Gina Comminello, Professional Makeup Artist and Owner of The Look Salon (TheLookSalonDenver.com) weighs in.
Gina encourages maintaining your eyebrows as they “frame the eyes and influence the total symmetry of the face.” Gina says that both waxing and threading will deliver beautiful, defined eyebrows. The Look Salon’s FLAUNT YOU! eyebrow artist offers both services based on clients’ needs and preferences.
Here’s the scoop on both:
- This process uses a cotton string in a twisting motion to trap hair in a mini lasso that pulls up each hair out of the follicle as it passes along the skin.
- An artful technique that’s amazing to watch. Hair Threading has stood the test of time, being passed down through generations and is fast becoming a popular choice for hair removal in the United States. The hairs do not have to be long in length to be threaded. Also, people who use Retin-A or other medications that conflict with waxing can still get threading.
- This process uses both strip or hard wax as a method of semi-permanent hair removal, which removes hair from the root.
- Strip waxing is accomplished by spreading a wax combination thinly over the skin. I mostly use strip wax to remove hair on large surfaces like arms, legs, back, bikini and chest.
- Hard waxing utilizes hard wax (as opposed to strip wax). In this case, the wax is applied somewhat thickly. The wax then hardens when it cools, thus allowing the easy removal by the esthetician without the aid of cloths. This waxing method is very beneficial to people who have sensitive skin. I typically use hard wax on the face to remove hair on eyebrows, chin, upper lip and sideburns.
- When waxing clients’ eyebrows, I mostly use hard wax to remove unwanted hair then tweezing to create a clean brow shape followed by the use of a stencil and an eyebrow makeup color to achieve a beautiful, defined, natural looking eyebrow!
- Whether you want to recreate a FLAUNT YOU! brow design at home or maintain the upkeep after your brow design, then stencils are a great tool for you.
- They are made of pliable plastic, are durable, available in many shapes, easy to use and easy to clean.
- Don’t be fooled by over-priced stencils, there are many great stencils on the market that are reasonably priced…do your homework!